Welcome to Day Three of Apple Harvest Week at Red Couch Recipes. Today my daughter Talley and I made Caramel Apple Cupcakes after school. The cupcake is appley goodness and it's topped with caramel...just like a caramel apples.
Have you ever visited the craft blog Skip to My Lou? She has an incredible blog jammed packed with ideas. I couldn't find red cupcake liners so I used her template to make red (for apples) cupcake wrappers. I also made some patterned ones because I liked the way they looked. Click HERE for the template.
A Baker's Dozen of Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Recipe for Caramel Apple Cupcakes -- Adapted From Woman's Day
3 cups all-purpose flour -- Can use whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄2 tsp salt
1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1⁄2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 pkg (14 oz) 50 caramel candies
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Red jimmies or sprinkles
1. Heat oven to 350°F. You’ll need 24 muffin cups lined with paper liners.
2. Cupcakes: Combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Beat applesauce, sugars, butter, sour cream and eggs in a bowl with mixer on low speed just to combine. in flour mixture until well blended.
4. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake for 15-30 30 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in cupcakes comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
5. Glaze: Heat caramels in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Add heavy cream and stir until combined. Cool 2 minutes. Working quickly, while mixture is still warm, spread top of each cupcake with about 3 teaspoons of glaze. If glaze gets hard to spread, heat on low, stirring until more melted. Insert a Popsicle stick into center and top with jimmies or sprinkles, if using. Place in freezer for 5 minutes to set. This is important to do, especially if you are placing the cupcakes close together.
Thanks for dropping by my Red Couch for Apple Harvest Week.
You might be interested in the other Apple Harvest Week Posts.